"Crazy world, full of crazy contradictions like a child, first you drive me wild and then you win my heart with your wicked art, one moment tender, gentle, then temperamental as a summer storm, just when I believe your heart's getting warmer, you're cold and your cruel and I like a fool try to cope, try to hang on to hope. Crazy world, every day the same old roller coaster ride, but I've got my pride, I won't give in, even though I know I'll never win, oh how I love this crazy world." -- "Crazy World" from "Victor/Victoria," lyrics by Leslie Bricusse

Tuesday, March 23, 2021

The Longest Year of My Life

 

2020 was indeed, the longest year of my entire life. As I was sitting for the required 15-minute waiting period after I received my first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, I was so overcome with emotion. I have isolated myself for over a year now, rarely gone out, only when I needed to, I have not auditioned in over a year, attended a live theatrical event or gone out to the movies either. I have had my groceries and other necessities delivered. All of this because I am over fifty, overweight, and have high blood pressure and am pre-diabetic. I get cabin fever very easily, and suffice it to say, this past year has been at times a living nightmare. But thanks to wonderful friends and family, I have made it through and when I was sitting there in the old Wal-Mart in American Fork building, for just a moment, it all felt surreal. It felt like I was awakening from a dream. I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel. I have lost 20 pounds, in a healthy way, my pre-diabetes is under control and I no longer must be on medicine for it, and my blood pressure is returning to normal levels. I feel better than I have in years. I have had moments of overwhelming anxiety, dark depression, and I felt as if I would never come out of this alive at times. I was so scared of getting this virus before I could get vaccinated. But now, I can truly see that light at the end of the tunnel. We still have a long way to go, but I feel hopeful for the first time. I finally am confident we can beat this thing with patience and caring for one another enough to stay diligent with social distancing, mask wearing and good hygiene until we can see that downturn in cases, hospitalizations, and deaths due to this horrible pandemic. I miss performing so badly! I miss being around like-minded artists, and the wonderful spirit they bring to my life and countless others every night. I miss the collaborative spirit as well! I have made some new friends online, strengthened existing friendships, and learn to appreciate more, those wonderful things and people I must be grateful for! I wish all of you out there the same things. I wish you love, joy, and peace in your own lives! Together, we can all beat this thing! What a glorious day that will be indeed!

Much love, Jason 💓

No comments:

Post a Comment