"Crazy world, full of crazy contradictions like a child, first you drive me wild and then you win my heart with your wicked art, one moment tender, gentle, then temperamental as a summer storm, just when I believe your heart's getting warmer, you're cold and your cruel and I like a fool try to cope, try to hang on to hope. Crazy world, every day the same old roller coaster ride, but I've got my pride, I won't give in, even though I know I'll never win, oh how I love this crazy world." -- "Crazy World" from "Victor/Victoria," lyrics by Leslie Bricusse

Saturday, May 19, 2018

Reason Prevails (The First Step)



Reason has prevailed. AR-15's and all assault weapons can now be officially banned in Massachusetts. A federal judge has upheld the decision and overturned the appeal. Of course, this will eventually be taken to the United States Supreme Court and let's hope reason prevails there. But for now, this is a first important victory in this battle.

I am a progressive/liberal constitutionalist and a proud Democrat. I support Gun Rights but not the right to own any assault weapon and weapons of war. Hunting, sport gun activities do not require assault weapons or weapons of war. You don't need these type of weapons for personal defense. This is reasonable gun control. I am for this and continued education on self-defense, funding for mental health programs and counseling (particularly in the schools), communities banding together to form plans that work for them and their communities to protect their schools and to support all and enforce all existing gun laws including background checks and maximum penalties for criminals. I also support the loopholes for background checks for gun shows and I support 100% banning all private weapon sales without a business license (even if it's a sole owner LLC type business). Yes, this will not rid our world of gun violence and criminals are going to find the loopholes and still gain access to weapons, but this is something WE can do and it WILL make a difference. It WILL make our communities safer. Other than that, yes violence, crime will still exist. Drunk Driving Laws exist and we still have people being killed by Drunk Drivers but the percentages have lowered dramatically and that makes those laws worth it. To argue and say ANY gun regulation violates your rights to bear arms and will turn this country into NAZI Germany or Communist Russia is BULLSHIT! We MUST do all that we can do and THEN leave the rest to fate and freedom of choice of individuals to govern themselves! It's time for this nonsense to end! Wake up America!

This is a great day and a first step, albeit a tiny one.

No comments:

Post a Comment