"Crazy world, full of crazy contradictions like a child, first you drive me wild and then you win my heart with your wicked art, one moment tender, gentle, then temperamental as a summer storm, just when I believe your heart's getting warmer, you're cold and your cruel and I like a fool try to cope, try to hang on to hope. Crazy world, every day the same old roller coaster ride, but I've got my pride, I won't give in, even though I know I'll never win, oh how I love this crazy world." -- "Crazy World" from "Victor/Victoria," lyrics by Leslie Bricusse

Sunday, September 1, 2019

The Hard Times


If I have learned anything in my life up to this point, it's this. I couldn't save my father from the vile clutches of Parkinson's Disease. I couldn't save my mother from the horrible ravages of Alzheimer's. I have dear friends in my life that have their challenges as we all do, but I can't take those challenges away. But I can definitely stand with them and support them and be there for them as a shoulder to cry on, to let them know that they are not alone and that I will be there for them no matter what. I have looked back recently on my life so far and realize that I wouldn't change the hard times for anything. I am grateful that I was able to care for my mother and to witness her fight against what her mind and body was going through. I can empathize with loss now and it makes me human, it helps me to understand more the incredible humans around me that have gone through the same thing as I did. I was able to be there for that incredible lady who brought me into the world, I, in turn, was able to help her leave this world in peace and to say goodbye to her, which was one of the most incredible and sacred experiences of my entire life!  I am so grateful for the challenges and pain I've gone through. It has lead me to this incredible season of my life currently, which I wouldn't trade for anything!


No comments:

Post a Comment